May 29, 2018
Toran Billups on Hot Reloading
The EmberMap Podcast
Toran talks to Sam and Ryan about his project Ember CLI Hot Loader, which is an implementation of component-based hot module reloading for Ember apps.
How to listen
Watch above, or find us on your favorite channel:
- 0:00 – Losing hot reloading when moving from handwritten CSS to functional css
- 2:16 – Why Toran wrote the Hot Reloader
- 4:45 – How the hot reloader leverages Ember CLI to reload components
- 8:31 – The need for hot reloading
- 14:56 – Are there situations where you don’t want to use the hot reloader?
- 19:05 – What’s the easiest way to try using the hot reloader today?
- 21:05 – Design vs. build mindset
- 22:30 – Engines aren’t currently supported
- 23:53 – How local state affects hot reloading
- 27:50 – Fast feedback is the primary motivation
- 34:05 – What are the next steps for Ember CLI Hot Reloader?
- 37:51 – What happens to a component’s transient state if it’s hot reloaded?
- 39:44 – How to help if you’re interested in hot reloading in Ember